Friday, May 3, 2013

About love and other demons

‘That’s another thing no one tells you about death. That every emotion – good or bad – is blown up and magnified, rendered more vivid than you could possibly imagine. We’re temporarily shaken out of the ridiculous mass delusion that we’re immortal, forced to realize that one day the world will carry on without us in it. Perhaps there’s something weirdly galvanizing and exhilarating about knowing in your very bones that life is short.’

‘Mr. Almost Right’ – Eleanor Moran

I really liked this book about the search for Mr. Right, the trials of trying to find your true self in a too crowded world, full of illusions. Costume designer Lulu and her twin sister Alice, a school teacher dating a man with anger management problems will make you laugh, cry, hold your breath and smile at the end, when things don’t quite turn out how you would have expected them to, but better. Mix in some crazy friends, Zelda – Lulu’s boss, an award winning costume designer and her tragic story, actor Charlie who’s too involved with himself and apparently falls for Lulu and that wouldn’t be such a problem if he weren’t married, Gareth – Lulu’s gay, super nice colleague and Ali – the very nice policeman who’s trying to win Lulu’s heart.

And on the same theme, of love and death, but on a more profound note is the book ‘The One I Love’ by Anna McPartlin which I really really loved. It made me cry more than once, it made smile and laugh, but most of all it made me think about my life, my relationships with others, about my selfish nature and the importance of telling your loved ones ‘I love you’, ‘I care’, ‘I miss you’… every time you have the chance, because you never know what might happen. We’re all ‘dust in the wind’ anyway, but make every second count. Live like you have never lived before and treasure yourself more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment