Thursday, May 24, 2012

Japan, my love

So... Japan again. After two years, I went back to the country I love the most. I really can't explain this incredible fascination I have with Japan. But when the plane landed in Tokyo, I felt like crying because it felt like I had come back home after being away for a while... just. The same smells, the same atmosphere, the people, the lights - it was home and it was at the same time, like I had never been away. It just seemed perfectly natural to be there. Tokyo at first glance, Tokyo at night - going on the Rainbow Bridge on the way to the hotel, catching a glimpse of Odaiba's Decks. That incredible contrast I love - old temples and homes mixed beautifully with the new buildings - tall and made of glass . Everything finds itself in an amazing harmony all around the city. 


For me, Japan has always been like this - a mix of colors, of new next to old, of all kinds of people - always in a hurry, quickly passing each other in the crowded subway stations, talking on their "keitai" (mobile phone), or the ones that just went out for a stroll, the cosplayers, the office workers, the students. I like sitting somewhere and just watch them pass. One of the things I love about Japan is how the traditions continue to be so alive in a country that is all about technology and that, at the same time, has adopted many western customs.


Unfortunately, I only got to visit one museum this time - The Shitamachi Museum, where I got a peek at how life was in Tokyo 200 years ago, so I'm glad I got to see Edo Tokyo Museum last time I was in Japan. 


The day saved for walking in Tokyo was the day when the cherry trees (sakura) were supposed to bloom, a day for celebrating, of friends eating and drinking together under the sakura. In a word: Hanami. Only few trees blossomed and just as the forecast predicted, it rained a lot and it was really cold. Nevertheless, we went to Ueno Koen (Ueno Park) to see them. 


And I was finally able to go to a temple that is in this park, to buy a much wanted bell. I had bought one two years ago from this temple, but I lost it in a supermarket. It is a special bell, with a special sound, so I could only find it at this temple - the  Kan'ei-ji Temple. Returned home as the proud owner of a bell with a sakura pattern.


After Ueno Park and Shitamachi Museum, we went nearby to the commercial street Ameyoko-cho, a place where you can find all kinds of things at great prices - this time and last time too, I was really happy with my findings here. 


 

After eating in a traditional restaurant in Ameyoko-cho, we went to Asakusa to see the Senso-ji Temple. This time, I saw it completely differently than last time when the sun was shining and it was so hot and humid you could barely breathe squashed in a sea of people. This time, there were lots of people too, but everyone with umbrellas, hurrying to find a place to get out of the rain and cold.


But I was happy to see that the restauration of the temple was complete and I could see it in all its beauty. Last time it was covered and you could only see the inside. 


The temple two years ago:


One of the highlights of visiting Tokyo was the night view of the city from the 45th floor of the City Hall. If you go to Tokyo, you don't want to miss it. The entrance is free and the view - amazing!!!



But even just strolling through the different parts of Tokyo - so different from one another, so colorful and full of life, day and night is an experience you don't want to miss. Crowded Tokyo at rush hour, colorful Tokyo at night, you will want to go back for more, because one time is just not enough. 

Shinjuku
I am happy! ^_^  food is on the way!



Still in Shinjuku, but two years ago







Outside view of Edo Tokyo Museum 

One of the many displays at Edo Tokyo Museum - at a certain hour, it would come alive: the carriages and people would move, night would fall and you could hear all the sounds of a busy city street in Tokyo
Imperial Palace - one of the bridges to the entrance in the Palace
Amazing street - Harajuku. Bought lots of things at great prices here two years ago
Still Harajuku
Next - other stories from around Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment